Head of School, SouthLake Christian Academy, Huntersville, North Carolina. June 2018 to present.
Assistant Vice President of Spiritual Life and University Minister, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama. March 2006 to 2018.
Senior Campus Minister, Baptist Campus Ministries at The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama. July 2001 to March 2006.
University Minister, Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee. July 1999 to June 2001.
Chaplain, AIDS Interfaith Network, May 1998 to June 1999.
Graduate Fellow, Baylor University. August 1995 to May 1998.
Student Ministry Director, Baptist Campus Ministries at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas. July 1992 to July 1995.
Student Teaching Assistant, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. August 1993 to May 1995.
ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE, PRESENTATIONS, and PUBLICATIONS.
- “Playing God: Medical Ethics and Biblical Justice,” in An International Journal of Bioethics, Vol. 30:1, Spring 2014.
- George H. Gallup, Jr. Distinguished Lecturer on C. S. Lewis for Dallas Baptist University, April 2010.
- Regular lecturer for the Samford religion series “Christian Faith & Critical Thought,” 2008 to 2012.
- Regular lecturer on ethics for Samford’s McWhorter School of Pharmacy, 2008 to present.
- Presentation to the President’s session of the International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities: “Soulforce and LGBT Activism on Religious College Campuses,” 2007.
- Conference presentation to the National Association of Student Affairs Professionals: “Ignoring, Integrating, and Everything in Between: Spiritual Life on Campus,” 2006.
- Guest lecturer at Belmont University, Christian Theology and Old Testament History, 1999-2001.
- Honor’s Program Mentor and Thesis Advisor, Belmont University, 2000-2001.
- Assistant to W. H. Bellinger in the research, editing, and publication of New International Biblical Commentary. Leviticus – Numbers. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1999.
- Cultural Perspectives: Intro to the Western Intellectual Tradition (2012-present)
- Managing Corporate Integrity (MBA level course, 2013-present)
- Introduction to Philosophy (Spring 2016)
- Brock Scholars Seminar: Economics and Moral Philosophy (Fall 2015)
- The Life and Writings of C. S. Lewis (2009-present)
- Campus Ministry (2008-present)
- Biblical Perspectives: Critical Study of the Old and New Testaments (2007-2012)
- Christian Theology (2007-2010)
- Foundations of University Life (2007-2009)
- Campus Life Committee, Samford University.
- Advisor to the Board of Ministerial Mentors, Samford University.
- Student Retention Task Force, Samford University.
- Search committees for the Dean of Admissions, Director of Greek Life, and Professor of Church Music and Worship Leadership, Samford University.
- Campus Ministry Association, The University of Alabama.
- Task force on Christian Identity, Belmont University.
- Student Affairs Council, Belmont University.
- Committee on Religion, Ethics, and Convocation, Belmont University.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Board of Advisors, Personal Relationship, Inc. Counseling Center, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Theta Alpha Kappa Honor Society for Religious Studies and Theology.
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society, Samford University advisor.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society.
- Interim Pastor: Calvary Baptist Church, Tuscaloosa, AL, (2008-2009), Madison First Baptist Church, Madison, AL (2009-2010) and Shades Crest Baptist Church, Birmingham, AL (2011 to 2012).
Master of Business Administration, Samford University, Birmingham, AL. May 2013.
Doctor of Philosophy, Historical Theology, Baylor University, Waco, TX. August 2004. Doctoral Dissertation: “The Possibility of Theodicy: C. S. Lewis and the Role of Imaginative Texts in the Justification of Human Suffering.” Supervised by Dr. Ralph Wood, Baylor University, 2002-2004.
Master of Arts, Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas. May 1995. Master’s Thesis: “A Time Die: Process-Theistic Proposals for Minimizing the Suffering of Terminal Illness.” Supervised by Jeff Poole, SWBTS, 1995.
Bachelor of Arts, Music, Religion minor, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. May 1990.